Guitar Glam

For those of you following me on Hometalk, you may have already seen this project.

My 18 year-old son recently got a new (adult) guitar.  He had outgrown his youth version several years ago and told me to go ahead and get rid of it.  I thought of selling it but then I got inspired….

I saw a post on the internet where a lady used napkins and Mod Podge to create a stunning piece of art.  I bought a few napkins and broke out my gallon jug of Mod Podge and then, like most women do, I changed my mind.  I loved the raised stencil so much that I decided to try it on the guitar.

I applied removed the guitar strings from the tuning pegs and put them in a ziplock bag to protect them.  Of course, I eventually completely removed the strings to make the stenciling a little easier.  Then I applied a coat of chalk paint.

I had recently purchased several sets of vintage sheet music for less than a dollar a piece and decided to use that to cover the sides.  Applied a coat of MP, applied the sheet music, allowed to dry a bit and add MP over the top.  (Once it is completely dry, I used sand paper to remove the overhang.)

After the Mod Podge dried and the edges smoothed, I began the task of stenciling using my plastic stencil and sheetrock mud.  I added it a little think and then lightly removed the excess, trying not to remove so much as to reveal the stencil underneath.  It just gives it more depth.

 

I allowed the first stencil to dry and then used the raised edges as a guide to place the stencil and completely cover the top of the body.

Once the mud is completely dry (overnight), I sanded and repainted with the antique white chalk paint.

I must admit that I went back an forth on how to get the detail to pop.  I wanted to have black detail to match the music notes on the sides but I just could not get it to work.  I initially painted the mud black (see below), repainted with chalk painted, and sanded down to the black paint but it just did not do what I wanted it to (not enough black came through – I think I sanded it away).

I have read other posts that use paint and texture power to create the raised stencil… that would’ve created a black accent when sanded but I had already purchased a gallon of sheetrock mud (super cheap) and I didn’t want the added expense of more paint and texture medium.

So I painted it again, sealed it with Polycrylic, and added an antiquing glaze.  I used Valspar Gazing medium mixed with a dark walnut stain.  Brushed it on liberally and wiped off with a baby wipe leaving a nice aged patina.

I added a simple ribbon at the top to hang it.

The perfect addition to any music room!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s