Custom Pieces

Hi All!  Here are a few custom pieces I recently finished.  These items were either brought in to recover or they were ordered from items in stock.

Vintage Wicker Chest (this item is the only thing in this post I have for sale):

BEFORE
AFTER

 

Antique Chair – Bird Chair (customer painted; I took it part and recovered):

BEFORE

AFTER

Antique Vanity – makeover (featuring French stenciled top and drawer sides with raised stencil sides and drawer front).

BEFORE

AFTER

 

AFTERChest of Drawers – reinforced drawer bottoms, painted, distressed, and new hardware

BEFORE

AFTER

Chair – full upholstery (this chair will be used as a companion piece for the “bird” chair above.  I cannot wait to see them together in the client’s home.

BEFORE
AFTER

 

 

Advertisements

Raised Stencil Technique

I recently discovered a beautiful technique to add depth and beauty to almost any piece of furniture and I just have to share it with you.  It is raised stencil.

Last year I purchased a sewing machine/cabinet at an auction for $3.  It weighed a ton and stayed in the garage for several months.  I finally decided the only way I could move the cabinet into the house by myself was to remove the machine.  Of course, I had always planned on removing the machine and up-cycling the cabinet but never seemed to get around to it.  So I finally bit the bullet one week while hubby was out of town and began the transformation.  The machine itself weighed nearly 40 pounds.  (yes, I weighed it… I just could not believe how heavy it was).

Once I got it into the house, I removed the legs and began painting.  I also removed the hinges and secured the top with a brad nailer.  I really wanted to make a drawer inside for storage but when you open the door, there is a plastic spool rack that cannot be removed (the legs are attached to it).

I knew the look I wanted but wasn’t sure how to achieve it.

After one coat of chalk paint, I added a stencil and went over it with Sheetrock mud.  When I lifted the stencil, I had a beautiful raised effect. (below left: applying the stencil to one side of the side of the cabinet; below right:  the door after applying the full stencil)

A few more coats of paint, a little sanding, and a couple coats of Polycrylic and I was ready to add some antiquing glaze.  I combined a dark oak stain with a glazing medium and applied over the raised stencil and rubbed it off to achieve the look I wanted.

Ta Da!  I must admit I am totally in love with this piece but it WILL go in the booth for sale.  I have another cabinet in my living room I will transform for myself (when I get the time).

Rainy Day Projects

Here in the south, we are not accustomed to being shut in often.  However, the month of January saw below average temperatures and dreary days.

I seized the opportunity to work on a few projects that I had been putting off.

Last year a good friend gave me a hutch she was going to trash.  It had been sitting in the garage for months so I finally decided to bring it in and turn it into a sewing and craft storage unit.

Befiore
During
After

The second project was a coffee table I picked up at an auction last year as a “freebie”.  I love it when you have your eye on something in particular and the auctioneer just keeps adding to the pile.  I get the goodies I want for a good price and a few freebies tossed in for good measure.  Some I can use, come I can’t.  I decided to chalk paint, stencil, and wax this piece.  However, I am pretty sad with the way the dark wax looks.  It just seems so splotchy to me and I am not sure how to even it out.  Maybe someone will fall in love with it and scarf it up.

 

Last but not least is an adorable suitcase makeover.  I have had this garage sale find for a few years.  It was originally blue so I kept it in  my living room with a few items displayed but I just didn’t have room in the new house.  I finally found the perfect inspiration online and used a couple of old pillow shame to create this lovely addition to any Victorian/Shabby Chic room, wedding, or shower.  This was also my first attempt at raised (3D) stenciling.