For those of you following me on Hometalk, you may have already seen this project.
My 18 year-old son recently got a new (adult) guitar. He had outgrown his youth version several years ago and told me to go ahead and get rid of it. I thought of selling it but then I got inspired….
I saw a post on the internet where a lady used napkins and Mod Podge to create a stunning piece of art. I bought a few napkins and broke out my gallon jug of Mod Podge and then, like most women do, I changed my mind. I loved the raised stencil so much that I decided to try it on the guitar.
I applied removed the guitar strings from the tuning pegs and put them in a ziplock bag to protect them. Of course, I eventually completely removed the strings to make the stenciling a little easier. Then I applied a coat of chalk paint.
I had recently purchased several sets of vintage sheet music for less than a dollar a piece and decided to use that to cover the sides. Applied a coat of MP, applied the sheet music, allowed to dry a bit and add MP over the top. (Once it is completely dry, I used sand paper to remove the overhang.)
After the Mod Podge dried and the edges smoothed, I began the task of stenciling using my plastic stencil and sheetrock mud. I added it a little think and then lightly removed the excess, trying not to remove so much as to reveal the stencil underneath. It just gives it more depth.
I allowed the first stencil to dry and then used the raised edges as a guide to place the stencil and completely cover the top of the body.
Once the mud is completely dry (overnight), I sanded and repainted with the antique white chalk paint.
I must admit that I went back an forth on how to get the detail to pop. I wanted to have black detail to match the music notes on the sides but I just could not get it to work. I initially painted the mud black (see below), repainted with chalk painted, and sanded down to the black paint but it just did not do what I wanted it to (not enough black came through – I think I sanded it away).
I have read other posts that use paint and texture power to create the raised stencil… that would’ve created a black accent when sanded but I had already purchased a gallon of sheetrock mud (super cheap) and I didn’t want the added expense of more paint and texture medium.
So I painted it again, sealed it with Polycrylic, and added an antiquing glaze. I used Valspar Gazing medium mixed with a dark walnut stain. Brushed it on liberally and wiped off with a baby wipe leaving a nice aged patina.
I added a simple ribbon at the top to hang it.
The perfect addition to any music room!