Ooh La La

Like many of my projects, I found this old trunk at a garage sale and knew I wanted to do something with it.  It was spray painted with an ugly gold paint over some sort of melted lettering, “Daddy’s work shoes”.

For the first few years, I stored Christmas decorations in it and just forgot about it.  Finally, I decided it was time to do something with the pitiful trunk.

The first thing I had to do was strip the horrible paint off and try to remove the melted lettering.  Initially, I thought it was hot glue but it turned out to be some kind of blue and red melted rubber that came off relatively easily with the paint thinner.

Next, I cleaned the inside.  I tore out all of the paper lining and vacuumed to remove any loose debris.

I decided to paint it an off white and try my hand at distressing.  I am not much for distressing furniture but, as you can tell from the pictures, it was already pretty distressed.

I just do not see the point in sanding and banging up perfectly good furniture to make it look old.  I am trying to come around to this new trend and try to make things others will like so I thought I would give it a shot and enhance the dings and scuffs already present.  After all, if I plan on ever making any money at this, I have to be able to set out of my comfort zone.

I sprayed one coat of primer before adding 2 coats of the off-white then lightly sanded the outside around corners and edges.

Next I broke out a stencil I had purchased and stenciled the top and front of the trunk. After the stencil dried for 24 hours I distressed a little more and added a coat of matte poly to give it a little protection.

The lining was a nice pink fabric I had on hand and I trimmed the lining with a taupe gimp to give it a more finished look and added durability.

IMG_1060

trunk lining

It has now found it’s temporary home in my booth at a local flea market.

 

 

 

New Life to Garage Sale Trunk

A few years ago I ran across an old trunk at a garage sale with intentions to reattach the missing hardware and use it as a conversation piece in my living room.  Once I got it home, it ended up in my walk-in closet storing Christmas decorations.

When I moved into my new house, I stored it in the garage only to discover later that the cane had been ripped off the back.  So I had to make a decision; Throw it out or reinvent the whole trunk.

Once I decided to restore the trunk and resell the finished product in my Flea Market booth, I discovered the front was completely caved in so I had to replace the front and pretty much start from scratch.  Which really wasn’t a bad thing.  It gave the trunk a renewed stability so I had a good foundation to work with .

I recovered the trunk with batting and finished off with a nice French-print fabric.  The blue fabric for the lining was a great finishing touch.

I ended up using new hardware as some of the original pieces were missing.

I hope you like the transformation as much as I do.

Oh, the trunk only lasted for about 3 hours in my booth before someone scarfed it up.

IMG_0599
Before the work began. You can see some water damage on the bottom of the cane front.
IMG_0070
The damaged cane after being stored in various places before I started the makeover.
IMG_0828
The batting being added.
IMG_0829
The beginning stages of adding the French-print fabric.
Trunk
The finished product!
Trunk inside
Interior lining.